Thursday, May 21, 2009

To Boldly Go - a newbie's guide to Star Trek

So I watched the new Star Trek film. First, a disclaimer - I have exactly zero knowledge of Star Trek, except for the funny hand sign and William Shatner.

I admit, Chris Pine was very endearing as the brash young Captain Kirk - but isn't this a film stereotype we've had enough of? Arrogant, good-looking guy, good with his fists and (secretly) good with his brain. Off the top of my head, that description includes Indiana Jones, James Bond, Wolverine (okay, maybe not the brain part there).

But I must say, I have developed a bit of a geek-crush on Spock, although since Sylar from Heroes plays him, all I could think of for the first ten minutes was "...brains!"

Overall, it wasn't too bad an origin movie since total newcomers could follow the story and were too distracted by the large explosions and pointy ears to feel left out by the in-joke.

...and who knew Eric Bana could look like this?

Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment