Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Odyssey Across USA (Part I)

Hi. You may remember me, I used to blog, once upon a time, until real life intervened.

LA. City of Angels (and apparently, many, many tattooed people). It was a blast, it was sun-drenched, it was full of amazing food and people. Here, I'll just give you the culinary highlights.


Rodeo Drive


Fresh off the plane, we entered a very LA cafe on Rodeo. The waiters had shiny white teeth, and wore lilac polo t-shirts. I was too jetlagged to take pictures, but the one thing that stuck in my mind was that for people wearing black trousers, they had black napkins so that the annoying white lint coming from white napkins wouldn't stick on said trousers. That was pretty cool.

We also did the obligatory sighseeing rounds. We were there for the aftermath of Michael Jackson's death (RIP, MJ!). The crowds and tributes around his star were crazy.



Steak BLT. This is a bistro concept started in New York (of course) by Laurent Tourondel that had a branch on Sunset Strip. Amazingly, this was the only pretty cool restaurant on that part of the strip that we saw. The photos turned out too blurry, but I did snap a clear shot of this:



The complimentary cheese popovers! They were huge! And it was one each. And this was on top of the complimentary pate and bread. Ah, I love free stuff. Especially when it tasted this good. It was cheesy and eggy and steaming hot inside. However, eating this meant less room for the steak. I had ordered braised short ribs, which is not a cut I see often in Australia. These were definitely melt-in-your-mouth and packed with punch and flavour. The steaks all came in cast iron pots/skillets and were all superb. The only gripe I had was that everything was 'a la carte', meaning there were no sides accompanying the steak unless you ordered it. But all in all, a great experience and a solid representation of modern American dining.

More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment